Where we are up to
Wirkara Kulpa, the Aboriginal Youth Justice Strategy 2022-2032 was launched in February 2022.
It was developed in partnership with the Aboriginal Justice Caucus in line with the principles of self-determination as enshrined in Burra Lotjpa Dunguludja.
Caucus identified five key domains in the Aboriginal Youth Justice Strategy critical to addressing over representation and furthering self-determination, namely:
- work toward an Aboriginal led justice response
- empower young people and community to uphold change
- protect cultural rights and increase cultural safety in the current justice system
- address intergenerational trauma and support healing
- reduce over representation and provide alternatives to custody.
Significant work has been done by Caucus to identify their vision and aspirations for self-determination in the youth justice system which has informed their contribution to the development of the new Youth Justice Act.
Learn more about Wirkara Kulpa.