Where we are up to
Recruitment to the Sheriff’s Aboriginal Liaison Officer (SALO) roles across the State has been on going, as vacancies arise, with appointments to almost all roles in the regions.
However, over the course of this reporting period there have been several appointments of SALOs to Regional Aboriginal Justice Advisory Committee (RAJAC) Executive Officer roles and secondment to other roles. There have also been resignations, all of which sees some of the SALO roles currently vacant.
Regional management are conducting recruitment for six-month secondments for SALO position vacancies through the Aboriginal Employment Network and also to fill ongoing SALO vacancies.
At the commencement of working from home arrangements, the Sheriff commenced a SALO portfolio group, which is chaired by a Regional Manager, and is convened weekly. The Sheriff attends these meetings regularly and receives meeting updates from the Chair.
A recent SALO forum conducted in April 2021 focused on discussions about planning for success. Forum topics covered:
- living and breathing community
- reaching out and sharing knowledge
- sharing our reputation and trust capital with the department
- learning the ropes and reaching out to community
- connecting to community programs.
The portfolio working group has been focused on the following:
- merchandise to provide to community members at fines clinics
- improved communication about changes occurring within Sheriff’s Office Victoria and the operational environment
- how to support other Regions when the SALO is absent or the position is vacant
- appropriate access to shadowing opportunities
- appropriate support networks with the SALO to encourage retention
- promoting SALOs within government networks, and community. Identifying all organisations to proactively contact.
- making a connected service with intake organisations, creating wrap-around service delivery.
- awareness of what the SALOs need to effectively support their work.
- continuing use of SALOs to improve the cultural awareness of the Sheriff’s Office Victoria (SOV) workforce at large.