The core role of the Koori Justice Unit (KJU) within the Aboriginal Justice Branch in the Department of Justice and Community Safety is to develop and support improved and equitable justice outcomes for the Aboriginal community. As part of this responsibility, the KJU:
- acts on behalf of the AJF to coordinate the delivery of the AJA and related programs
- builds capacity in the department and the Aboriginal community to develop and deliver effective and efficient justice services and initiatives in partnership
- provides advice to the Justice executive, ministers and staff across the department on issues impacting on Aboriginal communities across Victoria
- advocates for ongoing improvement in the design and delivery of Aboriginal justice initiatives;
- monitors and evaluates Aboriginal justice initiatives;
- maintains a robust evidence base detailing Aboriginal involvement with criminal justice institutions;
- provides executive services to Justice ministers and the Justice executive
- and provides secretariat support to the Aboriginal Justice Forum.
Contact the Koori Justice Unit
Phone 03 8684 1755
Located at Level 18, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC.